Return to Ecuador: Part 2

Hand craft at the market at Otovalo

In the first part of this long sad story, I told you how my bag and passport was stolen and how I was now stuck in Ecuador without a passport, no plane ticket home and no money. I just had enough cash on me to make it back to the hotel I had been staying in. Once back at the hotel, everyone was very helpful and I could extend my stay in the hotel. Now to try and get things sorted out. The first point is there is a substantial time difference between Ecuador and  South Africa. So I had to very quickly change my sleeping habits. Most of the communication with South Africa had to happen quite late at night. So I let my wife know what had happened. I also contacted Jessica, my trusty travel agent (see my very popular post on "Travel agent or no Travel agent"). I let the people at work know that I was stuck in Ecuador and I also let the company who had sent me to Ecuador know. OK, so now everybody knows I am in the poof.
Now I need to start sorting things out. The most pressing task - get cash! I found another ATM from a different bank quite close to the hotel and with a few prays and holding of breath, I tried to draw out money. I have never been so happy to see the trusted US dollars coming out of the machine. The currency in Ecuador is the US Dollar. So first task sorted - I have cash and I could draw out more as needed.
Food at the local market
Next task, find the South African embassy or consulate in Ecuador. I looked up the details  and took a taxi there.  Fortunately taxis in Quito are quite cheap - about 2 to 3 US dollars. I found the building, but once there, the guy at the door (who cannot really speak any English and me not speaking any Spanish) informs me that the South African consulate is no longer there, they have closed down. Now what? Just as I am heading back to find a taxi "home" he calls me back and gives me a piece of paper with a phone number on. This is an agent who has been appointed to assist any South Africans in Ecuador. So, once back at the hotel, I phone the lady. Yes - she can help. I must meet up with her in a shopping mall and she will get all of the details ready and send them off to the nearest South African Embassy, which is in Lima, Peru. She tells me that it will take between 10 to 14 days for me to get a new passport. Than means that I would be stuck in Ecuador for a long time!
My brain started ticking over. In the cupboard at home in South Africa, I have a passport which is still valid, but which is full. If I can get this passport, then I would be able to travel home. So start the process to get the old passport couried to me. Everyone agrees that this would be a good idea and would be much quicker than getting a new passport which could take 2 weeks. So the old passport is on its way to Ecuador with DHL. Things are starting to get sorted out. Next problem, there are only two fights a week and my trusty travel agent cannot do any flight bookings until I have the passport in my hand. So wait for passport! Checking DHL website very often to follow the movements of my passport around the world.
On the snow line of a volcano
Now there is nothing else that I can do, but wait for my old passport to arrive. May as well make the most of the time. I did a tour where I climbed up to the snow line on Mt Cotopaxi at 4864 meters above sea level. The highest I had ever been. I also did a day trip to the very beautiful and colourful market at Otovalo. This is one of the best places to get South American hand crafts. Some really beautiful items. There is also a local food market which is always a good place to visit. One of the best places to experience the local cultures. I also made use of the "hop on hop off" bus in Quito and I made the most of the time I was stuck in Ecuador.
Eventually my passport arrived and Jessica could sort out flight bookings. Fortunately, the company who had sent me paid for the extra plane ticket, which was substantially more than the entire ticket for the trip at the start! She could only get me on a flight from Quito to Sao Paulo. The SAA flight from Sao Paulo to Johannesburg was full! More stress. I decided to get the flight to Sao Paulo. If I was still going to be stuck, lets at least have a change of scenery.
Another point to stress about. A few people told me that I would have problems using my old  passport when leaving as I do not have an entry stamp. Cross that bridge when I get there. Got the airport and could check in to the flight - no problem. So I arrived at the board control and gave the guy my passport, and police report and told him that I did not have the entry stamps in the passport. The poor guy just about burst into tears. He was so sorry for me and he hoped  that this did not make me think badly of Ecuador. I still love Ecuador! It is one of my favourite places in the world.
Anyway, once I landed in Sao Paulo, Jessica had worked her magic (see the importance of having a good travel agent in your corner) and I was on the SAA flight home. The end of my ordeal.
Climbing Mt Cotopaxi
It says in the Bible that the Lord will restore all things that the locusts have eaten (in other words everything you have lost). Once I got home, I could claim from the travel insurance which covered pretty much all of the extra costs, the plane tickets, hotel costs, even the cost of the food while I was stuck. They even paid out some money on the camera equipment which was stolen. My normal household insurance also paid the full amount for the camera equipment which was stolen. I was able to get an upgrade on my camera and a much better Macro lens. The only aspect which has not been replaced was the photos which were lost. Next week I will be back in Ecuador and will be going back to try and get my hummingbird photos again. Then everything will be resorted. 
The moral of the story - look after your things when travelling, particularly your passport! Rather keep it in the safe in the hotel and carry a copy of your passport with you. It is no joke to have your passport stolen and being stuck in a different country!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Tigers in Ranthambore

The Embassed Elephant

Jaguars and Macaws - A trip to the Pantanal in Brazil