Markets of Northern Sumatra

Rubber sales
After the great day I had in the jungle of Northern Sumatra looking for Orangutans and other monkeys and apes, I decided to spend my next day in the region exploring the local markets and the area. Originally I had planned to spend two days in the jungle looking for Orangutans, but as I had seen many Orangutans and other monkeys, and the fact that I nearly died from the heat and the effort on the previous day, I decided not to go back into the jungle. Instead, I arranged with Robert from Trek Sumatra (www.treksumatra.com) to spend the day exploring the local area a bit. So, my guide arrived with his little motorbike and off we went.
Sumatran style of eating - put everything on the table
This was the day for the sale of rubber collected from the many rubber trees in the area. The previous day, we had passed quite a few rubber plantations on the way to the reserve where people were collecting rubber. At the selling point, people would arrive from all over the area with the bales of rubber. It is collected from the rubber trees in small cups (coconut shells) and then these small semi-circular bits of raw rubber are pressed together to form a bale. The bales of rubber were transported on just about anything that could move. The bales are weighted off by the merchant and the people get paid. There is a very unique smell which the rubber has. It is very difficult to explain as I have never smelled anything like it before, but it is not a pleasant smell. Also a sickly sweet type of smell. This smell was obviously very prevalent at the various collection points for the rubber sales.

The Palm nuts which are used for palm oil was also up for sale. I am not really sure if they were for sale, or had just been collected and were waiting to be picked up by the big corporation trucks. These big trucks are the main reason why the roads were such a mess in the area. The bunches of nuts which had been collected from the plantations were neatly stacked along the side of the road. I guess that the plantations are owned by the big palm oil companies and the locals work in the plantation to collect the bunches of nuts.
Before visiting the local market, we stopped for lunch at a small restaurant. It was really an experience. Typical Indonesian (or should I rather say Sumatran - as I have not seen this anywhere else in Indonesia) style of eating. Put everything on the table and you pick what you want. It was fascinating watching the sale of the food. Take always were in small plastic bags. I guess not so good for the environment, but a very convenient way for the people to buy their food, even soups!
Today was market day in the small town. This was definitely not a tourist market. No touristy items for sale at any of the stalls. Food was the main sale item. I love going to these types of markets. Especially when it is not a "tourist" market. This gives you a wonderful opportunity to see what it is really like in the area you are visiting. There was a lot of fruit at the market. Some of the fruits I could not recognise. There was also a lot of dried fish.
At the market
After the market on the way back to the hotel, we stopped in the rice fields. Beautify views of the mountains where the orangutans live.
Rice fields
The day ended of with my favourite, young coconut water. I just love this. It is the most refreshing drink ever. This is not the liquid from a ripe coconut. The coconut flesh has not developed yet in the young coconut. It is still like a clear jelly. When you finish the water, the seller will normally chop open the coconut for your and you can scoop out the translucent flesh. The water has a very subtle taste and even on a really hot day, the coconut water is quite cool. Just love it.
Fruit for sale
Next day, had an early start to the airport. About a six hour drive then a short flight to Kuala Lumpur and then on to Dubai on Emirates. I had been able to upgrade that flight, so another great flight on Emirates. The perfect end to a good short break. Then it was back to work again! I was not heading to Joburg from Dubai, but I was on my way to India for an intense week of work!
Bringing the rubber to the market

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Tigers in Ranthambore

The Embassed Elephant

Jaguars and Macaws - A trip to the Pantanal in Brazil