How to get to Victoria Falls

Small side falls on Zimbabwe side
Victoria Falls is a "must see" destination on the African continent. I have posted a blog on Victoria Falls, but in this post I will give you information on how to get there, or rather, how I got there. As I have mentioned previously, the Falls can be visited from either Zambia or Zimbabwe. I have been able to visit Victoria Falls from both sides.
From the Zimbabwe side

On a work trip to Zambia, I finished up my work in Lusaka. I normally try, as far as possible, to do something non work-related. Normally, when travelling so far, and just working can become quite a drag, so taking off a few days is always a great idea. So, I arranged a flight from Lusaka to Livingstone. This is the town in Zambia which is closes to the falls. There was quite a range of accommodation available, many of which were on the banks of the might Zambezi River. I booked into Maramba River Lodge (www.maramba-zambia.com) which is quite close to Falls. This was really affordable and was great value for money. I arranged airport pick up with the Lodge and also a day tour to the Falls. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. There is a lovely deck where meals were served and where you could get a drink. This was overlooking a water hole. Excellent service, good food and very good value for money. A really good place of insect Macro photography. There were lots of dragonflies.
Maramba Lodge
Dragonfly

Spider
Yet another trip with I did (also arranged through the Lodge) was a sunset cruise on the Zambezi. This trip departed from The Victoria Falls Waterfront. This also looked like a great hotel. I just passed through the lobby to get to the river cruse boat. The location of this hotel is great, right on the banks of the Zambezi. 
Room at the lodge


My package include transport to the falls and I had a full day on the Zambian side of the falls. After my stay, I got an SAA flight back to Johannesburg. There are quite regular flights between Johannesburg and Livingston. There are also flights between Johannesburg and Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe, so it is pretty easy to get to the falls.
Early morning visitors

My second trip to the Zambian side was after a missions outreach in Tsunkwe in Namibia. We were staying in Botswana in Kasane. We arranged a day trip from there to the Zambian side of the Falls. We were travelling from Tsumkwe through the Caprivi strip to Chobe (Kasane) and then back to Johannesburg. We did pass through the small town of Victoria Falls, but headed straight to the Falls. This trip was in June, so after the very high wet season heading to the drier season.
Falls in low season. Not too much water - but enough!

There are quite a few good hotels on the Zimbabwe side of the falls as well. This is, after all, one of the major tourist attraction in Africa and there is good tourist infrastructure for tourists.
Tributary from the deck at Maramba Lodge - saw hippo at night

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Tigers in Ranthambore

The Embassed Elephant

Jaguars and Macaws - A trip to the Pantanal in Brazil