Workcation - the best way to travel

Workcation? What is that and how do you spell it? What it is I can answer. How to spell it - I can only guess. Spelling is not a strong point. So what is workcation? This is when you need to travel for work, but you manage to take a few days off to do some tourist things. If you think of it, any international work related trip from South Africa will normally start with a long flight. To travel all the way to distance lands and not at least take a bit of time off, is crazy. At least try to have a weekend before or at the end of the work related part of trip - preferably both, to do some tourist things. I guess that I am very fortunate, as I get to travel very often for work. As the name of this blog states - I am a passionate traveler. I still do not get tired of the travel experience. Even when I end up going to the same place over and over again, there is always some nice things to do. Stay in a good hotel, eat nice food and do short day trips. This is my receipt to a good travel experience.

The Red Pyramid

Loading up the Emirates flight. They have a really good entertainment system

My workcation normally starts with the flights. As I have mentioned previously, I try, as far as possible to only fly on Emirates. Also, as previously mentioned, join the airline frequent flyer program on your first trip. Most airlines have frequent flyer programs and if you are a frequent flyer, the airline tends to look after you. This can be access to the business class lounges, selection of preferential seating on the plane and possibilities to upgrade your flights. Just a quite point on preferential seating. If you fly often and you stick to one airline, you get to find out where the seating sweet spots on the plane are. Emirates flies either the Boeing 777 or the Airbus A 380. Both planes have seating sweet spots! I am not just going to tell you where the sweet spots are! You need to earn the knowledge of the sweet spots, but here is a clue to help you find them. On Emirates, once you reach Gold, the head air hostess or steward comes to greet you before take off. You will notice one of the air crew walking around with the list of passengers and then "randomly" stopping to talk to a passenger.  They tend to end up in the seating sweet spot, as most of the gold members have been able to find these sweet spots.

I have previously also discussed the use of travel agent or not. I suggest have a reliable travel agent on call. You can pretty easily do most of your travel arrangements on your own, but if you are planning to do this, there are a few things you need to know. The first of these is make sure your connecting flights are linked. If the airline messes up and you miss your next flight, it is the airlines' problem to sort you out. If your flights are not linked, it is your problem and can cost you another plane ticket! Also, there are visa requirements for various countries where you may be transmitting through. If you do not have the visa for the transit, you will not be able to board the flight at OR Tambo. Not a good start to your workcation or vocation! I have been making use of Jessica Cameron (Jessica.cameron@travelcounsellors.co.za) from travel counselors for may years years now and she is really good.



Booking of hotels is pretty easy these days. I normally make use of www.booking.com  I have been using them for quite some time and it is a really good system. In most cases, you only pay at the hotel. You get a hotel confirmation and you can even contact the hotel through www.booking.com once you have booked you room.

My tour guide - Hala- from Emo tours. She was really good and new her stuff.
Day tours can also be easily booked through www.viator.com. I have also made use of them quite often to book day tours and it is pretty easy. In most cases, you will need to make payment when you book, but so far (touch wood) I have not had any problems with them.

I an currently my next workcaction. I am in Egypt for a week and then on toBrazil. In Egypt I have managed to book a trip to see Abu Simbel. This is high on my wish list. In Brazil, I will be ending my work part of the trip at Fuz do Iguasu. This is the site of one of the most impressive water falls in the world. This will be my third trip there, but it is seriously well worth a visit. So look out for the next round of blog posts. 

The only really bad thing about a workcation is that you often end up being alone. It is not so great to be able to see all of the amazing place and not being able to share. Oh well, I guess that I why I have this blog! These are all celphone photos. I will go camera photos in next few posts on Egypt.
Good food is always very important

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Tigers in Ranthambore

The Embassed Elephant

Jaguars and Macaws - A trip to the Pantanal in Brazil