Luxor Temple in Egypt at Night

Luxor Temple at night
The first time Marie and I visited Egypt, a long time ago, we were still taking photos on slide film. Must have been a really long time ago! Can anyone still remember slide film? We stayed overnight in Luxor in a really dodgy hotel - but that is another story. Apart from the dodgy hotel, we had a really nice stay in Luxor and we visited most of the sites. We visited Luxor temple during the day, which was very nice. We were walking around Luxor in the evening and noticed that the temple was lit up at night and we could still go in. It was really impressive and we tried to get a few slides. Some of them were quite good, but a little skew and as these were slides, could not be fixed with photoshop. I always wanted to go back to Luxor and retake these photos. So now, on my latest trip to Egypt, I had the opportunity to go back to Luxor. I could fly back to Cairo in the late afternoon and overnight in an airport hotel to get my flight back to Dubai, or I could stay over in
The impressive Luxor temple
Luxor and get the flight back the next day. Sleeping over in Luxor would allow me to visit the Luxor temple at night again. So guess which one I did? The trip I had arranged was a bit of a whirwind tour of Aswan and Luxor. Started off with a very early flight from Cairo to Aswan. This was followed by a trip to Abu Simbel and a visit to the goddess Isis temple in Aswan. Very early the next morning, around 3 am., it was a drive to Luxor. First stop was at the colossis of memnon. This was followed by a visit to the Temple of Hatshepsut (which I will still do a post on). Thereafter it was the Vally of the Kings (which I have posted on). After lunch, it was Karnak temple and Luxor temple. A very full day! It was not hot! It was seriously hot! Walking in the hot sun was no joke. Basically at Karnak temple, which is a really amazing place where Marie and I spent pretty much a full day there by ourselves, it was so hot that I literally could not hold my camera. The guide and I were moving from shade spot to shade spot.

After a few hours of rest at the very nice hotel (Sonesta St George Hotel) which was booked for me, it was time for me to go back to Luxor temple. I did do a blog on getting to the Luxor temple.

I arrived at the temple, for the second time, just as the sun was going down and I spent a most enjoyable few hours taking photos as the light changed. It is really a beautiful site at night when everything is lit up. It was well worth spending the extra night in Luxor.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Looking for Tigers in Ranthambore

The Embassed Elephant

Jaguars and Macaws - A trip to the Pantanal in Brazil